• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
17 Jul 2018 16:11 - 02 Feb 2019 08:37 #14739 by Geno
Been meaning to do this for a long time. I'm doing one for a customer today so thought I would get some pics and make this tutorial for anyone who may need it. :thumb1

The fuse block being installed is the one we make and can be found here - WHS Fuse Block Assy

The original fuse blocks are terribly trouble prone for bad connections. Part of the problem is they are not covered, the other part is the buss bar that they used to feed both the 30A and 25A fuses. There is a lot heat generated in that area from the buss bar connection that they used and we all know what heat does to spade type terminals. To eliminate this the fuse blocks that we make have separate 12 gauge wires feeding each fuse.

** DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES YET.** What makes wiring easy and trouble free is DOING 1 AT A TIME if possible.

I use nylon seamless crimp caps for connectors. They hold more wire length and the wires can be twisted before crimping making a better connection. I also heat shrink everything but it is not necessary if there is no wire exposed at the end of the cap.

Start out by lining up the fuse blocks, there is a smooth side and a side with protrusions so you can piggyback them together. There are also only 3 fuses so the empty slots should be on the same end. As I said, our fuse block does not have the buss bar installed so we have to do things a little different. The next step is simple, connect the 2 feeds to the 1st 2 fuses in the new block to the single hot wire in the old block.

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 02 Feb 2019 08:37 by Geno. Reason: Added wiring diagram in .jpg and PDF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kurt-NEPA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
17 Jul 2018 16:18 #14740 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic 520H WHS Fuse Block Install
The rest is easy, just cut and connect the same spot in the original block and connect to the same spot in the new block. Some only have 1 wire per terminal, some have 2 in the original block. The main thing is to just do 1 spot at a time. :)

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
17 Jul 2018 16:24 - 17 Jul 2018 16:24 #14741 by Geno
Once finished wire tie all of the wires together behind your connections. You can also use 1" heat shrink over all of them for extra protection and to keep them together. The extra wire can be formed into an S so they will fit under the fuse block bracket easily. When installing the bracket take care to not pinch any of the wires under it between the metal. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jul 2018 16:24 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
17 Jul 2018 16:32 #14742 by Geno
Make a final check after the fuse block is installed and make sure no wires are pinched anywhere. Also check underneath the block where you see the wires come out of the fuse block and make sure they are all free, see the 1st pic.

The fuse block wire connections are all under the fuse block bracket. The other large heat shrink covering wires to the rear of the fuse block in the pics go to the ignition switch, that was done today also but that is another tutorial lol. :thumb

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2018 05:56 #14743 by nappypappy
nice job and glad my 416 dont have that many wires to worry about..........:woo :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

More
26 Jul 2018 06:57 #14752 by Kurt-NEPA
Nice tutorial Gene, The fuse box and 9 pin connectors are the electrical weak spots on the 520H for sure.

Well done,

Kurt

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno