• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
18 Oct 2023 18:41 #18152 by Geno
Since all the new benches are done and the small welding table is clear I have a few more projects I've been wanting to do for years.  Most of the stuff to do them with have been here for many years as well...  Since I'm not working so late for customers any more unless it's an emergency I'm gonna do a few more projects a few hours a day even if it's early morning before the shop opens or after 5PM.

There are 2 more up next.  Building an engine turn table, and a welding turn table.  First up is the engine turn table, I started on it last night.  I have some stuff out of mom's bookstore she had for 35 years that we closed a few years ago, so it's time to put it to use.  I started with the base of a fixture that was in the back and stripped it down to the turn table and rolling base.  The turn table is extremely heavy and will make the base for this project.  It has 1/2" bearings in it that are caged.  I can still use the rolling base for something else so it's a win win.  

I also discovered the Onan engine plate has holes in it not only for the Onan, but in the opposite direction 2 holes line up on a K or M Series Kohler, and all 4 line up with a Kohler or Tecumseh riser plate.  This is the progress from last night and some pics from today of the different mounting line ups.  The Onan mounts where the rusty spots are in the opposite direction as most of you know. 

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
18 Oct 2023 19:03 #18153 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Building an Engine Turn Table
I just finished up with step 2.  I'm trying to keep the bottom bolts very low profile so when the bottom is covered with self adhesive rubber, the rubber will be thicker than the bolt head.  The thing I used for this is some of the good old elevator bolts I have a bunch of.  I sheared a used piece of 1/4" steel to 12" x 12" for the base, then marked where the holes would be punched.  Since the iron worker punches are 1/16" over standard per size the square head on the bolts go right in with a few hammer hits.  After that a few spot welds to make sure they stay in, and a little grinding the bottom plate is done minus paint.  

I'm still not sure what the top plate will be, the Onan plate would be easy but I'm gonna sleep on it since it's already late and I'm hungry lol. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
20 Oct 2023 19:00 #18155 by Geno
Got most of the engine turn table done last night and this morning.  The base is painted and has self stick rubber on the bottom, I've done other things like that in the shop, it won't move at all with that on it.  The rubber is thicker than the bolts so they won't hit anything.  It could look nicer but that's what I get for talking and working, at least it has more than it needs to keep the base from moving...    

I ended up cutting another piece for the top that is 12 x 12 x 1/8" steel.  The turn table is 1/8" as well and has a lot of surface area so it should do well.  There are holes punched in it toward the outside so they will clear the bottom bolts.  They may not get used but the holes are there just in case.  It may get Velcro under the top to hold the plate in place and keep the outer top smooth so nothing gets in the way when something is put on it. 

The bottom base is mounted and the top is painted so it can dry overnight.  It should be easy to finish up tomorrow. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Oct 2023 18:57 #18158 by Geno
Finished up the engine turn table today.  It just has some Velcro to hold the top on but even with what little is on there it's really hard to get off.  That will keep the top smooth and make it easy to remove every now and then so I can blast the top + repaint it if need be. 

I hope this little topic helps anyone else wanting to build something like this. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.423 seconds