• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
06 Dec 2023 17:41 #18231 by Geno
Press Mods was created by Geno
I've had this press for over 30 years, good old Made in USA press that I bought off of a tool truck that showed up one day at the old shop.  I didn't have a ton of room over there either so the first thing it got was casters put on it.  They just got a quickie weld on them back then because there's always been too much to do you know...     Now they have about had it, they never had bearings in the wheels, and the spinner bearings on top don't want to let the wheel rotate very good anymore.

This time it's getting 550lb per caster wheels on it, a little overkill of course but the price was right.  They have dual bearings in the wheels, and they all rotate and lock both the wheel and rotation position like the wheels on other things do around here.  They will also get bolted on properly this time.  Ends are being put on the legs as well to help with stability, help with bolting on the caster, and to be able to put a storage shelf on the bottom.  I took the old wheels off and will save the wheels and pins in case they can be used for something light someday.  

The big bandsaw is getting some upgrades too this week but that will go in another topic. 

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
06 Dec 2023 19:10 #18232 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Press Mods
No matter what I did I couldn't get this thing squared, then I found the culprit, one of the original legs was about 1/8" longer than the other.  Never expected that with a USA piece of equipment but they aren't that crucial either.  I also noticed when I sheared a little off the longer leg they were originally cut with a bandsaw.  May have been a smaller USA operation at the time.

It's taking a little longer than I thought because where the caster holes need to be won't work on the iron worker punch.  It's back to the old fashioned way of measuring, marking, center punching and drilling everything.  I've been spoiled by the guides and punch on the iron worker I guess.  

I knew someday having the drill presses close together would help with longer parts that had to be drilled and it worked out great.  One can work as a stand, and take care of the spin at the same time with no extra tools needed. 

Now it's down to marking and drilling the last holes in the new cross braces then things will go a lot faster.

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Dec 2023 18:04 #18233 by Geno
Got the holes drilled in the cross braces today, double checked everything, flipped it over, double checked everything again.  Then tacked it up, pulled the wheels and got it welded up.  I got ready to paint it and thought it had a little too much overhang on the inside corners.  Since it wouldn't take too long I ended up shearing 4 pieces of 1 1/2" angle iron and welding them in for more support.  It may not have mattered but a little overkill never hurt anyone... 

It also got grade 9 bolts, grade 8 washers, and grade 5 nylocks.  I think it is good to go.  Then I got another idea... 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Dec 2023 18:55 #18234 by Geno
Another idea is about done.  I had a few extra magnet strips from when one got put on the iron worker so it's time to put them somewhere.  One of them is going on the top of the press bolted to the angle iron that was just welded on. 

I have a few other little details and possible ideas I'll try in the morning.  There will also be a removable shelf that will be going on the new bottom to put press type things on.  I thought I would get more done on it today but the phone rings + peeps come by. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Dec 2023 11:57 #18235 by Geno
Done with this little project for now.  I still have to do the shelf but that can wait, too many other things to do with today being warm sunny weather. 

The mag strip is on the top, a little edging like used on the Wheel Horses, benches, etc to make a rattle free spot to hang things over, 2 beam clamps on each end to keep things from sliding off the top, 2 bolts in them to hang something on (to remind me they are threaded), and 2 rotating hook magnets to hold the jack handle out of the way.  The 2 mag trays have been around here forever, now they are on the support are for tools I made that I use a lot for the Horses. 

Once the bottom shelf is in everything used on the press will go down there.  It will be really nice that if I have to move the press for something longer everything that works with it will be right there on it.  I'll put pics of any improvements in here as they happen. 

I hope someone can use some of these ideas to make their press better + easier to use. 

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.398 seconds